Hello, friends! How was your weekend? Welcome back to the Enough Experiment! Who’s ready to dive into the KITCHEN on a MONDAY??
Me! Me! I am! I am! (easy for me to say–my kitchen is pretty much as de-cluttered as it gets)
I’m going to be honest. I do not have a step-by-step formula for de-cluttering a kitchen. I purged mine over time, and the timing was perfect, because now I have a tiny kitchen with crappy cabinets and drawers (several of them are un-usable), and I have so little stuff that it works.
Here are some ideas that have worked for me (feel free to steal, tweak, or ignore):
1. No junk drawer. (I do have one in my desk.)
2. Nothing on the counters (except a one-cup coffee maker). (It just makes me feel better. I used to keep a ton of stuff on my kitchen counters. Heck, I even decorated them.)
3. No appliances/cool gadgets I never use. (Over the years, I’ve purged a wok, a cappuccino maker, an electric knife, an apple corer, a food chopper, a smoothie maker, and a hundred other things I’ve forgotten about.)
4. No fancy dinnerware/serving stuff. (If you have occasion to use nice stuff–and actually use it–great, but it’s not doing anyone any good if it sits in your cupboards for years at a time.)
5. I don’t need 10 of everything. (At the very least, get rid of 1 pot, 1 skillet, 1 glass pan, 1 cookie sheet, 1 mixing bowl, 1 pie pan, 1 mug, etc. Don’t keep more than you use.)
Other questions to ask yourself:
1. What can I toss from my fridge?
2. Are all these magnets on my fridge door really that special to me?
3. Do I use all these cookbooks?
4. Do I need this many thermal lunch totes?
5. Are there any pieces of silverware or other utensils I don’t like/use?
6. Are my spices/baking supplies old and yucky?
7. Can I make space for appliances in my cupboards so my counters are more spacious?
8. Do I need/love all these holiday dishes?
9. Could I use some natural cleaners and toss all these other ones?
10. Is it time for some new dishcloths?
Today’s Baby Step Challenge:
Purge 10 things from your kitchen.
Today’s Little-Bit-Bigger Challenge:
Purge 20 things and report back here. I want to hear all about it!
Today’s Big Daddy Challenge:
Empty every cupboard, drawer, fridge, etc. Clean them all out. Purge everything you don’t need/use. Put back the stuff you do. CLAIM YOUR ROCK STAR STATUS.