Now, friends. A couple quick items of business/reassurance.
1.) You do NOT have to feel guilty if you don’t complete a challenge on any given day. I’m going in a completely random order with no respect whatsoever for your personal schedule or de-cluttering needs.
2.) In fact, if you’re feeling guilt AT ALL, then we need to talk. This experiment is about FREEDOM, not GUILT. You do what you can, what you feel led to do. And if this just isn’t a good time/season, that day will come. NO WORRIES.
Shall we dive right in to the bathroom?? (those of you who have ever lamented the fact that you only have one bathroom in your home are SO THANKFUL right now, aren’t you?)
How does your bathroom make you feel? Happy? Overwhelmed? Peaceful? Stressed? When you open the medicine cabinet or look under the sink, do you cringe? Or breathe a sigh of relief? (I think you’re in the majority if your bathroom is a cluttered wreck.)
Here are some reasons our bathrooms get out-of-control cluttered:
1. We try a lot of products we end up hating, but we can’t bear to throw them away.
2. We keep every hotel shampoo, lotion, and soap we ever get, because we’re resourceful like that.
3. We have more than one person sharing a space, and each person has unique toiletry needs.
Some possible solutions:
1. Gather up everything you don’t love, and find someone (who’s not doing the Enough Experiment) who might want them. Your freedom to breathe is worth more than what you paid for the products.
2. Toss them or take 2 weeks and use up all you can (and toss the rest). It’s just not worth it. (EDIT: Some brilliant people have commented that your local homeless or women’s shelter might take your extra travel-sized toiletries. Love that!)
3. Tsh has some great homemade toiletries in her book, Organized Simplicity, that can streamline your beauty regimen (and could work for multiple members of your fam).
Today’s Baby Step Challenge:
Purge 10 items from each bathroom in your home.
Today’s Little-Bit-Bigger Challenge:
Purge 20+ items from each bathroom.
Today’s Big Daddy Challenge:
Purge every single thing (in all bathrooms) that is a.) expired, b.) you don’t use, c.) you don’t like, d.) is yucky or ratty or moldy, e.) doesn’t belong in the bathroom. When you’re finished, you should have counter space and shelf space and mental space.
If your bathrooms are already awesome, CONGRATS! Take a day off!
Let me know how it went! And how many hotel soaps you’re getting rid of! (I know some of you are avid collectors.)