Not feeling so hot tonight (either I ate something that didn’t agree with me or I’m allergic to blue hair dye), so I’ll make this quick.
We start James tomorrow!! If you’re anything like me, it came quick and you’re not quite ready. Maybe you had big plans for reading Chapter 1 several times, taking notes on each verse, praying for wisdom, and writing a rough draft of your first blog post…
But you haven’t even dusted off your Bible (or clicked on your phone’s YouVersion app).
Maybe you had no big grandiose plans whatsoever because you really have no idea what possessed you to come over here and sign up to do this crazy read-along anyway. What on earth were you thinking?!?
It’s okay. Really. The last thing I want you to do is get frustrated and/or discouraged and/or flabbergasted with yourself and give up before we even start.
YOU CAN DO THIS.
Baby steps. Something is better than nothing. Grace, grace, grace.
The book of James is a big pill to swallow, and we are going to hold each other’s hands through the whole entire thing. I’m all about the warm and fuzzy (which is more than I can say for James).
One of you (too tired to remember) had the brilliant suggestion of listening to David Platt’s sermon series on James (starts 8.15.09, having trouble linking to it). I KNEW that was a dumb idea (I always want to sell my house and adopt 6-8 orphans every time I hear him preach), and I was right. Holy cow.
I listened to the first one on the drive to Cleveland Sunday, #2 in the van with fighter jets screaming overhead, and #3 on the way home. Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch.
And I might as well just go ahead and say it. I’m going to try to memorize the book of James. I do not, not, not, not, NOT want to do it, and I told God as much, and I also told him that if he really wanted me to (but why would he, really?) that he needed to give me a really, really clear word.
Thanks a HEAP, Pastor Platt.
And instead of making this a really quick post like I said I was going to do, I just made 3-4 trips to the bathroom in the midst of writing it. Feeling a little better, thanks.
If you haven’t signed up to join us, it’s not too late. In fact, you don’t have to sign up at all. But we’d love to learn a little about you before we get started!
Here’s a quick overview of tomorrow:
1. My post will go live at midnight (east coast time). Anytime after that, you’re welcome to start commenting/linking to your own post.
2. I’ll share my (hopefully brief) thoughts on Chapter 1 and then ask 2-3 questions. Feel free to stick with the questions or veer off on your own path.
3. Please be kind, loving, and respectful when replying to others’ comments. And you’re welcome to keep discussing the chapter for as long as you’d like (beyond Wednesday).
4. To link to your own post, you’ll basically just copy the permalink (the link to your actual post, not just your blog) and paste it in a little box and give it a title if you’d like (it will make more sense tomorrow). I can help you if you get stuck.
5. Because James is all about DOING and not just HEARING/BLOGGING/DISCUSSING, I’m going to make Thursdays a kind of practical application day of what we’ve discussed the day before. Sound good?
I think that’s it. How was your weekend? Mine was lovely and filled with giraffes and thunderbirds and unnatural hair colors.
See you tomorrow, James Groupies!