Good morning! It’s my birthday! Historically, I host a pity party or two for myself on this date (who knows why? my melancholy personality? the fact that I have to share my special day with a billion kids dressed as bloody things and hideous Halloween decor?), BUT NOT THIS YEAR.
Maybe it’s because your birthday is supposed to be FUN!! and I’m too practical to be FUN!! (I’m really much more boring in real life than online–ask my real-life friends) So you’re supposed to do things that make you HAPPY!! And nothing makes me HAPPY!! (except playing in the dirt with Cambodian orphans–and it’s not because I’m spiritual and noble; it’s just the most joy-inducing thing someone can do)
Then a couple friends pointed me to this blog where this girl did 38 Random Acts of Kindness for her 38th birthday. She went around blessing strangers in all kinds of ways and documented it all with photographs. Sweet!! I said I’d do it! (and then I realized how many of her random acts involved $, and I just don’t have any of that right now, and the thought of coming up with 37 money-less ways to bless people made me hyper-ventilate)
SO, I got the brilliant idea JUST THIS MORNING to make a list of 37 things I WANT! Because that’s altruistic and completely un-self-centered.
Here’s the deal. These are 37 things I want. Some I can get today. Some will take all year. Some are fun. Some are serious. Some of them you can’t help me with at all.
BUT SOME OF THEM YOU CAN. (and I will bold those so you know)
Here we go!! (please remember, this isn’t all-inclusive–I’m not trying to fix every problem in our fallen world in one day)
37 Things I Want for My 37th Birthday
(EDITED 9:36pm, * = in progress, ** = DONE)
*1. I want to have a joyful attitude all day long (no matter what).
**2. I want to have a good visit with my reading buddy, Junior, and make him feel special.
3. I want to get all caught up on our bills, hospital and otherwise.
*4. I want Cherry to join our family (and love us!).
**5. I want a $2 Chipotle burrito.
*6. I want to hug a lot of people.
*7. I want the girls to sell 50 Cambodia Prayer Bracelets.
8. I want the election to be over.
9. I want the people in the path of Sandy to be safe (and I want God to comfort the loved ones of those who lost their lives).
*10. I want to inspire people to love the poor sacrificially.
*11. I want my children to be loving to each other.
12. I want to see Cambodia again (in real life, not just Skype) before I turn 38.
*13. I want my husband to continue to be alive and healthy–physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually.
(Holy cow. How am I going to get to 37??)
*14. I want everyone to feel valuable and loved today (you are valuable and loved! yes, YOU!).
15. I want to write/publish 3 more e-books this year.
16. I want to meet my friend Nicki in Australia in real life before I turn 38.
17. And a whole slew of other internet friends.
18. I want to get over my loathing of noises (chewing, page turning, chip bag rustling).
19. I want to be a really, really good (unselfish, loving) wife and mom.
20. I want my parents (and Gabe’s) to stay healthy for a long, long time.
22. I want to be joyful always, never griping or complaining.
23. I want my Cambodian friends to have an amazing mission trip to India (and get all the $ they need in time).
24. I want to reach out to my neighbors.
25. I want to keep my desk organized.
26. I want to be more adventurous and try more ethnic foods (so many to choose from where I live!).
27. I want Mohamed (the 9th grade boy I tutor) to succeed in school.
*28. I want ______ & ________ & __________. (these are actual, physical things, but I know that if I write them, 10 of you are going to show up at my door with them today, and that won’t do)
EDIT to #28 (11:44am): Okay, okay, I’ll tell you what they are: 1.) super-low-cut, grey athletic socks 2.) a new pair of running shoes and 3.) clinical-strength deodorant.
29. I want the Boys’ Center (Punlok Thmey) in Cambodia to have all the $ they need to hire staff, serve lunch, and love these precious boys in Jesus’ name.
*30. I want everyone in the universe to watch this video.
31. I want to help our friend Faa realize her dream of an amazing campus for abused kiddos in rural Thailand. (details to come!)
32. I want a haircute. (left the typo, because how fun!)
(I have to leave the house for Reading Buddies in 2 minutes. RUSHING through these last 6. No, 5!)
33. I want to pray more. (let me know if I can pray for you)
34. I want an overall good first homeschooling year.
*35. I want everyone who reads this to go encourage someone verbally (or w/written word).
36. I want to keep all my promises.
37. I want to love God and people more.
Woohoo!! Let me know if you did any of this BOLD STUFF in honor of my b-day! Love you all to bits!!